It is important to be aware of the types of air purifiers available in the market for the best results. It is also crucial to know about the different components of an air purifier and the functions of each component. The following are the types of air purifiers:
Cleansing air is a basic need for our health. This is because the majority of diseases are caused by the impurities in the air we breathe. Therefore, it is necessary to take the right measures to protect our health.
If we are able to identify the source of the pollutant and use the right type of air purifier, we can eliminate the pollutants in the air and make sure that we stay healthy.
There are five main types of air purifiers currently available in the market:
1-HEPA Air Purifiers
HEPA stands for high-efficiency particulate air. These are the best purifiers and are available in many types. HEPA filters are made of fiberglass or plastic material and are charged with electrostatic material. These filters can remove 99.97% of dust and other pollutants from the air.
HEPA filters are available in both portable and non-portable air purifiers. Portable air purifiers are light in weight and can be carried anywhere. They are best for small rooms. HEPA filters can be cleaned and re-used.
HEPA filters are effective in removing dust, pollen grains, and other allergens from the air. HEPA filters have a lifespan of 2-3 years, depending on the type of the filter and the frequency of use.
- Highly effective in removing all types of contaminants from the air.
- Very cost-effective option with a very low cost of operation.
- Easy to use and maintain.
- Large in size and bulky.
- Not ideal for use in a small room.
2-Activated Carbon Filter
Activated carbon filters are widely available in the market and are most commonly seen in air purifiers. They are widely used for removing the smell of tobacco or cigarette smoke from the air. They function by capturing the particles and releasing the captured particles with the help of a fan.
In some types of purifiers, activated carbon filters are placed between the HEPA filter and the fan for better results. Activated carbon filters can remove the smell of smoke, chemical odors, and other pollutants from the air. It can remove some types of VOCs, but not all types of VOCs.
Activated carbon filters are available in both portable and non-portable purifiers. They are made of different types of activated carbon, so the lifespan of the filter depends on the type of the activated carbon being used.
The lifespan of the activated carbon filter varies from a few weeks to a few months. It is important to replace the activated carbon filter on a regular basis to get better results.
- Natural material that is relatively inexpensive to produce.
- Available in a variety of grades, sizes, and mesh sizes.
- Has high surface area which allows for a faster rate of adsorption.
- Effective at removing organic contaminants such as chlorine, chloramine, and odors.
- Has a limited lifespan and needs to be replaced periodically.
- Has a low adsorption capacity for inorganic substances.
- Can remove beneficial trace metals such as copper, zinc, and iron.
- Reduce the effectiveness of some disinfectants.
3-Ozone Filter Purifiers
Ozone filters are used in many types of air purifiers. They are placed between the HEPA filter and the fan for better results. Ozone filters capture the particles and release the captured particles with the help of a fan.
The captured particles are released in the form of Ozone. Ozone filters are capable of removing some types of VOCs from the air. They can remove the smell of smoke, chemical odors, and other pollutants from the air.
Ozone filters are available in both portable and non-portable purifiers. They are made of different types of activated carbon, so the lifespan of the filter depends on the type of the activated carbon being used. The lifespan of the ozone filter varies from a few weeks to a few months. It is important to replace the ozone filter on a regular basis to get better results.
- The main pro is that it is a very durable purifier.
- It is also very safe and effective, thanks to the use of the UV technology.
- It also offers you a great value for your money.
- The purifier is very clear in its functions and operations.
- Does not work well with gases.
UVC air purifiers are different from the other air purifiers. They use the UV rays to kill the bacteria, viruses, and fungi. These rays are invisible to the human eye and can be harmful to the human body. They can easily damage your skin, eyes, and lungs.
UV air purifiers are also safer for pets and children than the HEPA filters. These UV rays are harmful to them too. UV rays can also damage the electronic equipment. In addition, it is also important to know that UV rays are harmful to the electronic circuit and the batteries.
- Efficiency – Pretty efficient when it comes to water treatment. It can eliminate 99.9 percent of the water-born pathogenic germs within 15 minutes of exposure.
- No Chemicals – Don’t need any chemicals or additives. This makes it the best water purifiers.
- Maintenance – Doesn’t have any mechanical parts, thus require no maintenance.
- UV-C water purifiers are pretty expensive. If you are looking for a low-cost water purifier, then UV-C is not for you.
- UV-C is not that effective on microorganisms like Giardia and Cryptosporidium. However, UV-C is effective on other water-borne pathogens like E-coli, Vibrio cholera, Legionella, and Cyptosporidium
- UV-C is not effective if you have a high turbidity level.
The ION filters are most efficient in removing the odors from the air. These filters work by generating negative ions in the air which would cling to the particles, and then fall.
They are very effective in removing allergens and other airborne particles from the air. Ion filter air purifiers are best suited for people who suffer from asthma or dust allergies.
- The small size of the filter protector allows it to be placed even in the smallest areas of the aquarium.
- The low cost of the filter protector allows you to purchase more than one.
- Due to the small size of the filter protector, the filtering area is also very small. Therefore, the filter protector must be constantly cleaned.
- Use only special media in the filter protector, otherwise it will clog quickly.
Plasma filters are very efficient in removing the allergens as well as the VOCs from the air. These filters use a high-voltage spark to break down particles in the air into smaller particles that are then trapped by the filter.
The Plasma Filter air purifiers are an upgrade from the High-Efficiency Filter air purifiers. While the High-Efficiency Filter removes particles from the air, the Plasma Filter air purifiers also kill pathogens as well. The plasma filter air purifiers also have a great air-purifying capacity.
- Gets rid of harmful or irritating chemicals such as chlorine, VOCs, pesticides, and herbicides
- Doesn’t remove beneficial minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium
- No need to change the filter
- Available in multiple sizes
- Needs electricity to work
- Not good for heavy sediment
What kind of air purifier do I need?
There are different air purifiers available in the market for different purposes. Some of them work on HEPA, ionic, plasma, UVC or activated carbon technology. No one can suggest you to buy one. You need to decide on the basis of your requirement.
If you are looking for pure air purifier, then you should go with HEPA air purifier. HEPA and Activated Carbon both are good for removing harmful gases and particles from the air.
If you are looking for an air purifier which not only remove particles but also remove odors, then you must go with an ionic air purifier. Ionic air purifier is also good for removing dust and pollen.
If you are looking for a multi-purpose air purifier which not only remove particles, odors and pollutants but also provide positive ions, ozone or negative ions in the air and clean the air, then you must go with plasma air purifier.
If you are looking for an air purifier which is not only good for removing particles, but also remove chlorine, VOC and other harmful gases, then you must go with UVC air purifier.
If you are looking for an air purifier which not only remove particles, but also remove bacteria, virus and other pathogens from the air, then you must go with an activated carbon air purifier.